Are you looking for a simple family dinner? Try my Chicken Cream Cheese Stuffed Bell Peppers! They come together in under an hour and will surely be a homerun. Plus, the kids will be getting a healthy dose of veggies. Win-win!
No meal is complete without my twist on a recipe. This fun dinner features Heath Riles BBQ Chicken Rub, freshly shredded parmesan, and colorful peppers. Serve it for Sunday dinner, or make the peppers in advance for easy meal prep. You won’t be disappointed!
Who says the Alfa Pizza Oven is just for pizza? Not me! Every recipe tastes better with a bit of BBQ flair. You’ve never tasted stuffed peppers like these before!
Family dinner in less than ten ingredients? Count me in! You can easily find these ingredients at your local grocery store. You won’t use all of my rub, so save the rest for the next great cook.
- Chicken breast. This recipe requires 2 cups of shredded chicken breast. You can use rotisserie chicken, baked chicken, broiled chicken, or smoked chicken..the choice is yours. Make it as complex or simple as you like! This is a great way to use up leftovers.
- Heath Riles BBQ Chicken Rub. This excellent rub features a secret blend of herbs that complement the chicken’s natural flavors. It’s not just for chicken, though! Use it on duck, goose, pheasant, or turkey.
- Cream cheese. Cream cheese is an excellent base for any savory mixture. It helps the ingredients stick together and gets so creamy when melted. Be sure your cream cheese is softened before using.
- Bell peppers. I wanted to create a beautiful presentation, so I used red and yellow bell peppers. I also love the hint of sweetness they give this savory recipe. You can use whatever color you like best!
- Green onions. Green onions give the filling the perfect amount of zest. If you like a little heat, add diced jalapeños, too.
- Italian seasoning. The herbs in the Italian seasoning pair perfectly with Heath Riles BBQ Chicken Rub. Italian seasoning usually contains basil, oregano, parsley, and at times, salt. You can find this tasty blend in any grocery store.
- Parmesan cheese. For this recipe, I used freshly grated parmesan. I have to say; there’s something special about fresh cheese! It melts beautifully and tastes great.
- Chicken broth. A little chicken broth helps the peppers steam and stay juicy in the Alfa Pizza Oven. You don't have to add this ingredient, but it makes a world of difference.
The Smoker Setup
Here’s a rundown of the main equipment I used to cook these Chicken Cream Cheese Stuffed Bell Peppers. More of my grilling favorites can be found in the Equipment and Tools section.
- Pizza oven. For this cook, I used the Alfa pizza oven. This setup holds four pizzas at once! Despite its name, you can use it for much more than pizzas. It cooks fish, steak, meat, potatoes, and flatbreads easily.
- Wood splits. For this cook, I used oak wood splits. Whole logs are a little large for this oven, especially considering you’ll be moving the fire to the grate. You want something easy to manage, and wood splits do just that. I also added a few Royal Oak Tumbleweeds to get the fire roaring.
The Process for Making Chicken Cream Cheese Stuffed Bell Peppers
- Fire up the Alfa Pizza Oven. First, I ensured the floor of my oven was clean. Then, I laid the wood splits in the oven parallel to the exhaust stack. I added some Royal Oak Tumbleweeds for good measure. My Alfa Pizza Oven was sitting at 400℉.
- Create the chicken mixture. I placed my shredded chicken in a large bowl and added a good dash of Heath Riles BBQ Chicken Rub. I added the softened cream cheese and set the bowl aside.
- Prep the bell peppers. To prep my peppers, I cut them in half and cored them. I reserved one half of a pepper to dice and put in my cream cheese mixture. This adds a little texture and a pop of color.
- Stuff the peppers. To finish my cream cheese mixture, I added the reserved bell pepper, a little finely diced green onion, Italian seasoning, and freshly shredded parmesan. I used my hands to mix the ingredients, then placed a scoop in each bell pepper, molding it as needed. I like making my peppers big and hearty!
- Add garnish and grill. I placed the stuffed peppers in a greased Lodge cast iron skillet and topped them with more Heath Riles BBQ Chicken Rub and shredded parmesan. Last I poured ½ cup of chicken broth into the skillet. This helps the peppers steam and infuses them with more flavor. I covered the pan loosely with foil and let the peppers cook for 30 minutes until they reached 140℉ internally.
- Top with cheese and finish. Once the peppers reached temp, I removed them from the Alfa Pizza Oven and uncovered the pan. Then, I added one last shave of parmesan cheese. I put the pan back on the grill and let the Chicken Cream Cheese Stuffed Bell Peppers cook for 10 more minutes. I knew they were done when the cheese was golden and bubbly.
The Chicken Cream Cheese Stuffed Bell Peppers tasted as good as they smelled! The peppers were perfectly crisp and meshed well with the flavorful filling. The herbs in Heath Riles BBQ Chicken Rub and the Italian seasoning created a full-bodied, delicious flavor.
Serving Suggestions for Chicken Cream Cheese Stuffed Bell Peppers
These Chicken Cream Cheese Stuffed Bell Peppers are great on their own. If you want to bulk up your plate, add rice and a side salad.
You can store leftovers in the fridge for up to 4 days or freeze them for up to 4 months. If freezing, be advised that the texture will be a little different when thawed.
Equipment and Tools
Alfa pizza oven, Alfa wood splits, Alfa pizza oven accessories, Royal Oak tumbleweeds, mixing bowl, Thermaworks Thermapen ONE, Lodge cast iron skillet, disposable cutting board, aluminum foil, Thermoworks Silicone Tools