If you’re craving a hearty, cheesesteak-style sandwich, you’ve got to try my Buffalo Chicken Cheesesteak Melts. This recipe uses chicken instead of steak, keeping this meal budget-friendly. Add my signature seasonings, and you’ve got a note-worthy dinner that’ll earn you a few compliments.
These sandwiches use buffalo sauce but are mild enough for the entire family to enjoy. No one can resist the combination of creamy cheese, juicy chicken, and caramelized onions. I fell in love with these Buffalo Chicken Cheesesteak Melts, and I know you will, too!
Buffalo Chicken Cheesesteak Melt | Traeger Flatrock Flat Top Grill
If meal prep is part of your routine, you’ll want to bookmark this recipe. Prepare the filling at the beginning of the week and add it to toasted buns, wraps, or salads. That’s my kind of meal prep!
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts. Boneless chicken breasts are a great shortcut ingredient. All you have to do is slice and go. Chicken takes on the flavor of the buffalo sauce and seasonings, giving you one heck of a sammie!
- Red or purple onion. A little onion gives the Buffalo Chicken Cheesesteak Melts color and bulk. When the onions caramelize on the Traeger Flatrock Flat Top Grill, they release natural sweetness, adding a mellow flavor.
- Avocado oil. I used avocado oil to bind the seasonings to the meat and veggies. This mild oil can also season your Traeger Flatrock Flat Top Grill, keeping the surface nonstick.
- Heath Riles BBQ Garlic Jalapeño Rub. This AP rub is one of my best-sellers. People can’t get enough of this mild, savory blend. You can use it on popcorn, chicken, beef, and pork. There’s no end to the possibilities. Once you have a bottle, you’ll never want to run out!
- Heath Riles BBQ Chicken Rub. I created this chicken rub to enhance the natural flavors of poultry. It features a unique blend of herbs that elevate any chicken dish. You can also use it to flavor soups, roasted vegetables, or dips.
- BBQ Bob’s Mighty Mitch’s Wing Sauce. This amazing buffalo sauce comes from a good buddy who is a whiz at creating tasty products. It’s more than just a buffalo sauce, though! This condiment includes a hint of BBQ sauce, honey, and garlic. Use it on chicken, pasta, or anything that needs a kick of heat.
- White American cheese. To offset the spice, I added slices of white American cheese. You can also use regular American cheese, swiss, or your preferred cheese.
The Smoker Setup
Here’s the main equipment I used for this recipe. More of my grilling favorites can be found in the Equipment and Tools section.
- Flat Top Grill. I cooked these mind-blowing Buffalo Chicken Cheesesteak Melts on the Traeger Flatrock Flat Top Grill. I love using this setup for quesadillas, tacos, and more! Pro Tip: Be sure to “season” your grill before using it! This step creates a slick, non-stick surface.
- Cooking with a flat top is easy, especially when you know how to clean it! Check out the video to see my process for cleaning your Traeger Flatrock Flat Top Grill without much elbow grease.
- If you’re looking for an excellent flat top grill, try this one! With divided heat chambers, you can cook multiple things at once. It’s a beautiful addition to any outdoor kitchen!
The Process for Making Buffalo Chicken Cheesesteak Melts
You’ll find a visual demonstration of this recipe within the video. Here’s a quick overview of how I made these delicious Buffalo Chicken Cheesesteak Melts.
- Fire up the grill. I fired up the Traeger Flatrock Flat Top Grill and greased the griddle with oil.
- Prep the filling. First, I thinly sliced the chicken breasts and red onion and put them in a large mixing bowl. Then, I drizzled the meat and veggies with avocado oil, then sprinkled them with Heath Riles BBQ Garlic Jalapeño Rub and Heath Riles BBQ Chicken Rub. I tossed everything together so it was coated with seasoning.
- Start cooking. Once the Traeger Flatrock Flat Top Grill was sizzling, I added the chicken and onion mixture, spreading it in a single layer. I topped the filling with more Heath Riles BBQ Chicken Rub and let it cook until almost done.
- Add buffalo sauce. When the chicken and onions were just about done, I added a thick drizzle of BBQ Bob’s Mighty Mitch’s Wing Sauce. I tossed the filling and let it caramelize on the Traeger Flatrock Flat Top Grill.
- Melt the cheese. To finish the filling, I laid slices of white American cheese over the top. I shut the lid and let the cheese melt. Check out the video to see my foolproof hack for the gooiest cheesesteaks! I gave everything one last toss, evenly distributing the cheese.
- Assemble the Cheesesteak Melts. I divided the filling and tented a fresh-baked sub roll over the top. I carefully slid each Buffalo Chicken Cheesesteak Melt off the Traeger Flatrock Flat Top Grill and let it cool before digging in.
The Buffalo Chicken Cheesesteak Melts were zesty, juicy, and packed with creamy cheese. Seasoning the chicken and onions with Heath Riles BBQ Garlic Jalapeño Rub and Heath Riles BBQ Chicken Rub gave the sandwiches a well-rounded flavor. This recipe will satisfy any craving for hot wings OR a cheesesteak!
Serving Suggestions for Buffalo Chicken Cheesesteak Melts
My Buffalo Chicken Cheesesteak Melts are hearty enough, but you can always add a side of potato chips or carrots!
You can store leftover filling in your fridge for up to four days or freeze it for up to four months. I don’t recommend freezing/refrigerating the entire sandwich, as the bun will get soggy.