Free Shipping on orders $100+ (Continental US, Some Exclusions Apply)
August 16, 2022
Folks, let me tell you about my fantastic new spin on the Cuban sandwich!
The Cuban sandwich is said to have originated in Florida. It traditionally consists of Cuban bread, ham, roast pork, pickles, and Swiss cheese. Once assembled, the sandwich is pressed on a griddle.
I took the basic idea of the Cuban sandwich and made it my own way – swapping out the Cuban bread for a French loaf, replacing the roast pork with my Texas Style Pulled Pork seasoned with my Tangy Vinegar BBQ Sauce, and adding mayonnaise.
My Pulled Pork Cuban Sandwich is ginormous, messy, and (most of all) delicious! These sandwiches are great for big appetites but can also be cut into wedges for a party or tailgate.
Here’s everything you’ll need to make two big ol’ Pulled Pork Cuban Sandwiches: · Leftover Texas Style Pulled Pork. This Cuban sandwich recipe is the perfect way to use any brisket leftover from making my Texas Style Pulled Pork recipe.
· Heath Riles BBQ Tangy Vinegar BBQ Sauce. My Tangy Vinegar BBQ Sauce lends tang and spice to the pulled pork and creates a great mix of flavors in the finished sandwich.
· French bread. You can choose narrow or wide French bread loaves for these Cuban sandwiches.
· Butter. You’ll need a little butter for getting the perfect toasty texture on the inside of the French bread.
· Ham. Pick out a thinly sliced ham. I used thin-sliced Virginia ham in my Pulled Pork Cuban sandwich.
· Mustard and Mayo. Mustard is a traditional component in a Cuban sandwich. Although mayo isn’t traditional, I use it as a matter of personal taste. You can omit the mayo and your Pulled Pork Cuban sandwich will still taste great.
· Pickles. Use dill pickle chips or slices.
· Baby Swiss cheese. Swiss cheese is another traditional ingredient in Cuban sandwiches. Make sure you have enough cheese to cover your sandwiches entirely.
I used a Blackstone griddle to make my Pulled Pork Cuban sandwiches. It’s got plenty of room to spread out the pulled pork for reheating and for toasting two split French loaves at the same time. See the equipment and tools section for everything I used to make this Pulled Pork Cuban Sandwich.
The Process for Making Pulled Pork Cuban Sandwiches The detailed procedure for these Pulled Pork Cuban sandwiches is covered in my video and the recipe card at the bottom of this post. Here’s an overview:
· Prep the griddle. Get one side of your Blackstone going at high heat and the other side at medium heat. Add a little Bacon Up on the high heat side. (This is where our pork will go.)
· Heat the pulled pork. Place the pulled pork on the high heat side of the griddle, using a large metal spatula to break it up and turn it as it reheats. Spritz some water around (not on) the meat and quickly cover with a dome cover. Repeat this process of spritzing and covering two additional times.
· Toast the bread. Split the French bread loaves horizontally, butter the cut surfaces, then lay them buttered side down on the medium heat side of the griddle.
· Add BBQ sauce. Pour approximately ¼ cup of Heath Riles BBQ Tangy Vinegar BBQ Sauce over the pulled pork and toss it well to distribute.
· Sear the ham. Once the bread is toasted, remove the loaves from the griddle and move the pulled pork off to the corner. Place the ham slices onto the griddle to sear.
· Build the sandwich. When the ham is seared, return the bread to the griddle with the cut sides facing up. Add the mustard and, if using, mayo. Pile the pulled pork onto one side of each French loaf, followed by the ham, cheese, and pickles.
· Press the sandwich. Cut each loaf down the middle and close the sandwiches. Weigh each sandwich down with a sandwich press. Grill until the cheese is melty and the tops are golden brown.
TIP: Cover your sandwich press(es) with heavy duty aluminum foil for easy cleanup.
· Cut the sandwich and eat!
If you followed my Pulled Pork Cuban Sandwich recipe correctly, you’ll end up with some gloriously messy and tasty sandwiches!
Sides for Pulled Pork Cuban Sandwiches
Wondering what you can serve alongside my delectable Pulled Pork Cuban Sandwiches?
· Mississippi coleslaw. My coleslaw recipe hits all the right notes. It’s creamy, crisp, and spicy.
· Potato salad. Add your favorite mustard- or mayo-based potato salad as a side.
· Smoked Onion Dip. Just add chips for dipping!
Leftover Texas Style Pulled Pork
Baby Swiss Cheese
Heath Riles BBQ Tangy Vinegar BBQ Sauce
Fire up your Blackstone and grease it up with Bacon Up.
Place you leftover pulled pork on the grill, and sprits with water to add steam.
Place French bread on the grill to the side to toast it.
Drizzle Heath Riles BBQ Tangy Vinegar BBQ Sauce over your pulled pork, and then toss.
Place sliced ham on your grill to let it char.
Once your meats are ready and buns are toasted, assemble your sandwich!
Once you have assembled your sandwich, press your sandwich on the Blackstone to melt the cheese and toast the buns.
Slice and serve!
February 02, 2023
February 02, 2023
February 02, 2023