Friends, are y’all ready to take your sandwich making skills to the next level?
The Big Tex sandwich has ALL the good stuff from the ‘que in it – leftover Texas Style Brisket, smoked sausage, and my tangy, Mississippi Coleslaw made with some very special ingredients, including my buddy Malcolm Reed’s Killer Hogs Mississippi White Sauce.
The Big Tex sandwich is INSANE! Not only is it monstrous, it also has loads of flavor. Tangy, salty, spicy, sweet, smokey; it’s all in here! In addition to its layers of flavor, The Big Tex includes plenty of texture from our succulent brisket, snappy smoked sausage, and creamy yet crisp Mississippi Coleslaw
Here’s what you need to make The Big Tex!
- Sandwich buns or rolls. This recipe makes two of our Big Tex sandwiches, so grab a couple of good quality burger buns or rolls. I recommend using a bun that will hold up to all the ingredients we’re piling on. Brioche buns won’t get soggy and have a mild sweetness that works well with the other components of the sandwich.
- Leftover brisket. This sandwich is a great way to use up any extra slices of my delicious Texas Style Brisket.
- Smoked sausage. I take a link of my favorite smoked sausage, cut it hasselback-style, grill it up, then slice it for layering onto The Big Tex.
- Heath Riles BBQ Tangy Vinegar BBQ Sauce. My Tangy Vinegar BBQ Sauce provides the perfect balance of tang and spice. Pour it on top of the smoked sausage while it grills.
- Mississippi-style coleslaw. I created a tangy, spicy Mississippi Coleslaw that incorporates the creamy tang of Killer Hogs Mississippi White Sauce and the subtle heat of a de-seeded jalapeño and my Garlic Jalapeño Rub.
- Heath Riles Sweet BBQ Sauce. My best-selling BBQ sauce is a great blend of savory and sweet. It’s the perfect topping over the Mississippi Coleslaw.
Making the Big Tex Sandwich
The detailed procedure for assembling The Big Tex is covered in my video and on the recipe card at the bottom of this post. Here’s a general idea:
- Prep and grill the sausage. Cut a link of smoked sausage hasselback-style. To do this, take your knife and cut down into the smoked sausage at ½” diagonal intervals without cutting all the way through. You want to stop cutting with about a ¼” remaining so that the sausage stays intact on the grill and doesn’t separate into coins. Grill the sausage to heat through, basting with Tangy Vinegar BBQ Sauce.
- Slice the sausage. When the sausage is cooked, remove it to a cutting board and slice all the way through into coins. Set aside.
- Layer on the brisket. Separate the bottom and top burger buns, then pile on some Texas Style Brisket. For ideal coverage and maximum meatiness, you’ll want to use about 3 – 4 slices of brisket on each bottom bun.
- Layer on the smoked sausage. Pile the smoked sausage slices atop the brisket. Use as much sausage as you can balance!
- Layer on the slaw. Place a generous mound of Mississippi Coleslaw atop the sausage. You may need to press down a bit to get it to stay put.
- Top with BBQ sauce. Pour some of my Sweet BBQ Sauce on top of the slaw. If you prefer, you can use more of my Tangy Vinegar BBQ Sauce.
- Place the top bun and eat! That’s it. Get the bun placed, grab PLENTY of napkins, and unhinge your jaw because it’s time to dig into The Big Tex.
Plan Ahead for The Big Tex
Next time you host a barbecue, put Texas Style Brisket, grilled smoked sausage, and Mississippi Coleslaw on the menu. If you make a plan to sneak a little of each for the next day, the assembly of these Big Tex sandwiches will be even easier. The Big Tex is the ultimate reward for the pitmaster!
Serving Suggestions for The Big Tex
The Big Tex is a meal in itself but, if you’re looking for the perfect side, consider serving it with my Smoked Mac & Cheese.
Equipment and Tools
Big Tex Sandwich
Start off by hasslebacking some smoked sausage and put it on your grill. Drizzle Heath Riles BBQ Tangy Vinegar BBQ Sauce over your smoked sausage.
Once you've smoked your brisket and your sausage, slice up your meat.
Make your Mississippi Coleslaw
Assemble your sandwich with your coleslaw and sliced brisket and smoked sausage.
Drizzle Heath Riles BBQ Sweet BBQ Sauce over your meats and coleslaw.
Once you have assembled your sandwich, it's time to dig in. You'll need two hands for this one and some paper towels on stand-by.