Today I’m making a delicious Breakfast Casserole on my Traeger grill. It’s a simple recipe, but tasty enough to please any crowd.
Making a Breakfast Casserole
Casseroles are generally easy to make. You mix the ingredients together and…boom…you have a tasty meal. Breakfast casserole are especially convenient if you want to feed a good-sized crowd but don’t want to make eggs, bacon, pancakes, and biscuits all separate. This breakfast casserole gets all your people well-fed and satisfied and gives you time to have fun too. Let’s get started.
You can buy everything fresh or use frozen ingredients, depending on how much time you have to devote to the recipe. Sometimes I mix it up the night before and bake it the next morning.
- Fresh eggs. The eggs bind all the ingredients together.
- Heath Riles BBQ Garlic Butter Rub. A combination of my Garlic Jalapeno Rub and Roasted Garlic Butter Blend that adds savory flavor and a hint of heat to both meat and vegetables.
- Simply Hashbrowns. Potatoes are a great base for breakfast casseroles.
- Jimmy Dean Meat Lovers Mix. Sausage and bacon crumbles…need I say more?
- Shredded cheddar cheese. Some goes into the casserole and the rest goes on the top.
- Sour cream. Add a nice garnish on the finished casserole.
- Hot sauce. This is optional if you like more heat for breakfast.
The Equipment Setup
I cooked this breakfast casserole on my Traeger Timberline 1300 heated to 350 degrees F.
The Process for Making Breakfast Casserole
You can follow along with the video I made of this recipe. Just go over to my Youtube channel if you want to watch it.
- Crack the eggs. I cracked 8 fresh eggs into a big bowl.
- Spice and whisk. Several shakes of my Garlic Butter Rub went on top of the eggs to give them a little extra flavor. I whisked both ingredients together.
- Dump the hash browns. I’d bought some Simply Hash Browns for this recipe. I got a separate bowl (bigger than the one the eggs were in) and dumped the entire bag of hashbrowns into it.
- Chop and add veggies. Using a sharp knife, I diced up a white onion and a green bell pepper and added them to the hashbrowns. If you don’t feel like chopping, buying frozen vegetables already chops saves time and energy. I tossed it around to combine it and then gave it a few shakes of the Garlic Butter Rub.
- Add the meat. Jimmy Dean Meat Lovers Mix has sausage and bacon crumbles ready to add to casseroles and other dishes. I saved myself the time of cooking the sausage and bacon by opting for these.
- Sprinkle in the cheese. A good helping of cheese adds to the gooey goodness of a breakfast casserole. I poured half a bag in the bowl and set the rest of the bag aside.
- Spray the casserole dish. The last thing I wanted was a stuck-on mess, so I gave my casserole dish a generous spray of non-stick cooking spray.
- Mix and transfer to the cooking dish. I tossed all the ingredients together real good, then poured it all in the baking dish.
- Pour in the eggs. I took the bowl with the eggs in it and slowly poured them over the top. I used my spatula to pat the top down gently to make it all even.
- Top with cheese. Using the rest of the cheese, I sprinkled it evenly over the top of the casserole and then went back over it with a light layer of Garlic Butter Rub.
- Grill it up. I slide the casserole dish on my preheated Traeger, shut the lid, and let it cook for about 45 minutes.
- Check and remove the dish. It looked great all cooked up. The cheese had melted and I could tell all the flavors had mingled with the smokiness of the grill to turn into something delicious. I used pot holders on each side of the dish to pull it off the heat.
- Cool and serve. It cooled in the dish for about 10 minutes. Then I cut a piece, added a dollop of sour cream and a dash of hot sauce, and took a big bite.
What a delicious way to start the day! Man, oh, man, this casserole is simple but GOOD. It was packed with flavor and Garlic Rub added the perfect combination of savory and heat to everything. This one’s a real winner.
Serving Suggestions for My Breakfast Casserole
A 3 x 4 inch piece is a good serving. You can always go back for seconds!
Store the leftovers in an airtight container and you can reheat it in the oven or microwave for the next 2 days.
Equipment and Tools
Traeger Timberline 1300, Royal Oak Charcoal Hardwood Pellet, Thermoworks Hi-Temp Silicone Spatula , Glass Bowl , Glass Casserole Dish , Pure and Simple Canola Oil Cooking Spray , Stainless Steel Wire Whisk , Stainless Steel Spatula , Pot holders
Breakfast Casserole on the Traeger Timberline 1300
Get your grill or oven up to 350º.
Crack 8 eggs in a bowl, season with Heath Riles BBQ Garlic Butter Rub, and stir.
Mix chopped bell pepper and onion, shredded hashbrowns, meat lovers mix, and half a bag of shredded cheese into a bowl. Get it all incorporated and season with more Heath Riles BBQ.
Grease a casserole dish and get your mixture into the pan. Spread evenly.
Pour your eggs over the casserole and spread evenly.
Add the other half of the shredded cheese to the top of your casserole.
Add more Heath Riles BBQ Garlic Butter on top if you prefer.
Place your casserole on your grill or in your oven for 45 minutes.
Once your casserole is set and the eggs aren't runny, take it off the grill and let it cool.
Once it has cooled, cut and serve. I suggest trying this with some sour cream and Killer Hogs Hot Sauce.